Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First week of classes

Hello followers,

I would first like to say sorry for not blogging earlier.  I have been pretty busy with getting ready with school and surfing.  What have I done since the last blog?  Well, I have gone surfing, which is awesome and hard, tried the local pubs and food, and started classes.

Newcastle:
The city of Newcastle is located in the NSW, the heart of coal country.  Newcastle is the largest port for coal ships.  Everything is EXPENSIVE!  Food, drinks, tickets, everything is expensive.  I spent $18 dollars for breakfast one day, for french toast and coffee.  I guess minimum wage is around $16/hr.  There are many other factors that lead to high prices, but you can't count out the high minimum wage.  One more thing, houses are ridiculously expensive.  A small one like my sisters in Marshfield would cost 300k, minimum!

Surfing:
I went last Saturday at 10 in the morning.  I went with three other guys, Jared, Elouen, and Ulrich, the same order as the picture.  Elouen is from Switzerland, Jared is from Platteville, and Ulrich is from Austria.  We paid $35 for 2.5 hrs of surfing and I can tell you it was worth it.
I was able to stand up, the very first time, funny thing is though I flew right into Jared.  Surfing is fun and a great workout.  I will be purchasing a wet suit and surf board in the coming weeks and plan on going as much as I can.  I'm only 15 mins away from most of the beaches in Newcastle.  Speaking of beaches,


This picture here is Bar Beach.  There are 4 beaches in Newcastle and I'm 15 mins from three of them. Nobby's Beach, Newcastle Beach, and Bar Beach.  The fourth one I always get wrong so I'm not going to spell it.

School:
Classes this week are pretty much like any other University in America.  We get introduced and leave early, for the most part.  My classes are scheduled for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  Each class has a lecture and tutorial.  Tutorials are canceled the first week of classes but lectures are still on.  I hope to get pictures of the campus for everybody to see.  The campus is BIG!  There are roughly 35k students.  For me, I have to take a 10 min train ride then I have a 10-15 min walk to my classes.  I am very excited for my Business Venturing Class and International Finance Class.  I am not excited for Intro to Aboriginal Studies, that's just stuff I can learn on the damn internet, but it was required.  I have meet some pretty awesome people since I've been here.  I have meet a lot of Germans, a few English, and not to many Australians yet.

I need your help,
Comment on how I'm doing and what changes I should make to improve my blog, if needed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment